I was fortunate enough to attend the A. Quincy Jones exhibit
concerning architecture for modern, better living at the Hammer museum. Something that I found particularly
interesting about A. Quincy Jones is that he not only designed several homes in
Los Angeles for the growing middle class, but he also designed office
buildings, churches, schools, as well as libraries.
![]() |
| Outside of the exhibit at the Hammer Museum |
The things
differentiate A. Quincy Jones from other architects is his ability to interact
with several designers and to build from “the inside out”. He is inspired by
nature, and tries to incorporate this into his projects. To me, it is clear
that his homes and building have a signature modern look, yet Jones strives to
achieve this look while still maintaining a green, efficient design. He
achieved this by utilizing lightweight materials and positioning the buildings
in line with the natural surrounding terrain. This allowed for access to light,
ventilation, air, and views.
I would
recommend this exhibit to anyone who is interested in seeing architecture in a
new light. I believe that we often think “green homes” sacrifice open,
light-filled layouts. A. Quincy Jones contradicts this assumption, and what I
enjoy most it that A. Quincy Jones breaks the typical “architect” stereotype in
that he tries to maintain the surrounding terrain in it’s natural state as much
as possible. In fact, the surrounding terrain is often incorporated into his
design, combining modern living with nature. In my opinion, A. Quincy Jones
certainly pointed architecture in a new direction of modern, green living.
The museum did not allow me to take pictures of things within the exhibit itself, so I've included other images of Quincy's work:
![]() |
| A home designed by A. Quincy Jones. Notice the incorporation of nature in his desgn. <http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la-times-home-garden-roundup-0-12-76667> |
In context
with the course, it is evident that mathematics is needed to achieve Jones’
modern design. Yet, it is clear that he incorporates the use of his mathematical architecture around the artistic natural landscape surrounding it.
![]() |
| Myself and a staff member at the Quincy Jones exhibit. |





No comments:
Post a Comment