To be honest, prior to this
week’s lecture I had no idea what nanotechnology really was nor was I aware of
the vast scope of things it encompassed. At first, I found the concepts of
nanotechnology and nanoscience hard to grasp because it was on such a small
scale and I had difficulty visually conceptualizing this. I agree with Professors
Gimzewski and Vesna in their statement, “this new science is ultimately a shift
in our perception of reality from a purely visual culture to one based on
sensing and connectivity.”
For this reason, I was very
interested in the emerging trend that artists seen to incorporate
nanotechnology into their artwork by bringing it to sensory level that humans
can more easily perceive. For example, Boo Chapple’s work displayed in the John
Curtain Gallery attempts to use nanoparticle of bone matrix to produce audible
sound to humans (Artabase). Additionally,
Professors Vesna and Gimzewski worked on their project entitled the “Nanomandala”
which was “inspired by watching the nanoscientist at work, purposefully
arranging atoms just as the monk laboriously creates sand images grain by grain”
(Nanomandela). In this work,
Professor Vesna shows both the physical representation of the sand, but also
the sand at the nano-level, giving a whole new sense of definition of the sand
to the audience. A video of her work can be seen below.
In terms of space and art, I had
no idea of the vast artistic movements that have occurred and are occurring
today, except for television and film adaptions of space. Curator Kathleen
Forde explains that many of the exhibits in “Dancing on the Ceiling: Art and
Zero Gravity” are inspired by the “condition of weightlessness (like that of
space) on earth”. Artist Erin Dekyndt
portrays this by showing a suspended, massive ball that seems to defy the laws
of gravity in work pictured below.
![]() |
| "Ground Control"- Erin Dekyndt <http://www.nippertown.com/2010/03/22/artbeat-dancing-on-the-ceiling-art-zero-gravity-empac-31810/> |
Engineer and artist B.E. Johnson
is a visioneer at the Leonardo Space Art Project which aims to increase
awareness of space endeavors and exploration by communicating to the public
via art. Below is his depiction encapsulating a moment of history.
![]() |
| "The Shot Seen 'Round the World" B.E. Johnson <http://imperialearth.com/paintings.html> |
"Art in the Age of
Nanotechnology." Artabase. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 July 2013.
<http://www.artabase.net/exhibition/2104-art-in-the-age-of-nanotechnology>.
Forde, Kathleen. "Dancing
on the Ceiling: Art and Zero Gravity." Experimental Media and
Performing Arts Center. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 July 2013.
<http://zerogravity.empac.rpi.edu/>.
Gimzewski, Jim, and Victoria
Vesna. "The nanoneme syndrome: Blurring of fact and fiction in the construction
of a new science." Technoetic arts 1.1 (2003): 7-24.
"Leonardo Space Art Project
Visioneers." Leonardo Space Art Project. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 July
2013.
"NANO | Nanomandala." NANO
| Nanomandala. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 July 2013. <http://nano.arts.ucla.edu/mandala/mandala.php>.
Von Oldenburg, Helen, and
Claudia Reiche. "MARS PATENT: Welcome." MARS PATENT: Welcome.
N.p., n.d. Web. 28 July 2013. <http://www.mars-patent.org/welcome/welcome.htm>.


Hi Nadine,
ReplyDeleteThat was a really good example you wrote about in your blog. Before watching the lecture videos for this week, I also did not know a thing about nanotechnology and how it is all around us in daily life. The video you included was really interesting. We see a grain of sand and think that it is already really tiny but we don't think about how is viewed on the nanoscale. Definitely a new way to perceive art! Nice blog overall!
Suk
Hi Suk,
DeleteThanks for your comment! Yes, I agree, viewing things on the nanoscale was a little tricky for me, but very interesting to think about!