In all honesty, I do not think I have ever been in a
learning environment that encouraged the integration of the sciences and
humanities. I strongly agree with C.P. Snow’s statement that the gap between
the arts in science is less bridgeable than it was even thirty years ago. I
grew up in Los Alamos, New Mexico- a town called “the atomic city” because it
is the birthplace of the first atomic bomb in the world. Today, the city
harbors Los Alamos National Laboratories which is dedicated to scientific
research where over 50% of Los Alamos’ residents are employed (including both
of my parents). For this reason, I have always been driven towards a
science-oriented career, which is why I am a neuroscience major.
An aerial view of Los Alamos National Laboratory.
Interestingly enough, I grew up in this scientific niche
only one hour away from Santa Fe, New Mexico- a city booming with artistic
culture. I later moved to Santa Fe and found myself in a completely different
world. I then realized the same fact that Professor Vesna suggests: it is important
to be knowledgeable of both the arts and the sciences because many realms of
experience in our day-to-day lives incorporate both cultures.
Scientist Amory Lovins spoke at a recent commencement speech
at California College of the Arts encouraging people to start looking at the
acronym S.T.EM. (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) as
S.T.E.A.M. to include Art. He states that both art and science are manifestations of
human creativity and it is necessary for both worlds to interact.
As for myself, the information I have discovered this week
encourages me to seek knowledge outside of my scientific comfort zone.
The possibility of merging two cultures.
"A
Trip to the Santa Fe Plaza." - City Different Realty Santa Fe New
Mexico Real Estate. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 June 2013.
Beal,
Stephen. "Turn STEM to STEAM: Why Science Needs the Arts." The
Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 11 June 2013. Web. 29 June 2013.
"Los
Alamos National Laboratory." Los Alamos National Laboratory. N.p.,
n.d. Web. 29 June 2013
"Los
Alamos, New Mexico." (NM 87544, 87545) Profile: Population, Maps, Real
Estate, Averages, Homes, Statistics, Relocation, Travel, Jobs, Hospitals, Schools,
Crime, Moving, Houses, News. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 June 2013.
"Misha
Chertkov's WWW Page." Misha Chertkov's WWW Page. N.p., n.d. Web. 29
June 2013.
Snow,
C. P. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. Cambridge
[Eng.: University, 1959. Web.
"The
Key to Merging Corporate Cultures? Start Early." IndustryWeek Home Page.
N.p., n.d. Web. 29 June 2013.
Vesna, Victoria.
"TwoCultures Pt2." Lecture. Uconlineprogram. Youtube, 31 Mar. 2012.
Web. 27 June 2013.




Hi, Nadine! I haven't heard of this S.T.E.M. acronym before, and I'm quite surprised that the added A for Arts was only advocated for recently. It's interesting that in addition to the Third Culture, Engineering and Mathematics has been separated from Science. But I suppose that it does make sense to an extent when you look at it through a university perspective where engineers have their own set of courses and then mathematics is completely unconcerned with traditional life sciences.
ReplyDelete